A browse sequence is great if you have several topics that you want your users to view in a specific order. For example if you have a series of getting started content or recommended workflows, a browse sequence comes in handy. What happens is, when users view the compiled online Help system, they can use your browse sequences to “browse” through the topics in order.
In a browse sequence, you can create books and links to topics, tables of contents, other browse sequences in your project, and movies. You can create these sequences manually or automatically in Flare. In this post, we’ll take a look at the manual option.
Creating a browse sequence for your online content
- Add a browse sequence to your project.
- Select Project>New>Advanced>Add Browse Sequence. The Add file screen appears.
- Name your BS and click Add. Your new BS opens.
- Once you create your BS, it is stored in the Project Organizer in the Advanced folder.
- Add your topics to the BS in the order you want them viewed by your users. The Browse Sequence Editor works just like the TOC editor. You can create new content from here or drag and drop existing content from Content Explorer. Using the New book option in the editor, you can even create books if you want to create a series of sequences. For example, we use these to create workflows for a large application that houses several modules. Using the book option, we create a workflow for module 1 the includes several topics representing our recommended workflow for that module. We do the same thing for the other 10 modules in the application.
- Once the BS is created, you need to enable it in your skin.
- Open the skin.
- On the General tab, select the Browse Sequences check box.
- Open your target and go to the General tab.
- Now you need to associate the skin and the BS with your target.
- Open the target and on the General tab and locate the Browse Sequence field.
- In the drop-down, select the BS you want used in your output.
- Select the Skins tab and make sure to select the skin in which you enabled the BS.
- Save the target and build.